© 2023 WVIK
Listen at 90.3 FM and 105.7 FM in the Quad Cities, 95.9 FM in Dubuque, or on the WVIK app!
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations
Economy

First Disaster Drill at QC Nuclear Plant Since Ownership Change

Cordova QC Nuclear power plant CONSTELLATION website.jpg
Constellation Energy Corp.
/
Constellation Energy Corp.
Quad Cities Generating Station, near Cordova, IL

The Cordova nuclear power plant will hold a disaster drill early next week.

And it'll be the first test for the new owner, Constellation Energy Corporation.

Constellation launch twitter graphic FKl-ExRX0Acsr8C.jpg
Constellation Energy Corp.
/
Constellation Energy, https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FKl-ExRX0Acsr8C?format=jpg&name=large

In February, Exelon completed the separation of its utility businesses from its power generation division. And Constellation, based in Baltimore, became owner of 75% of the Cordova nuclear plant. MidAmerican Energy owns the other 25%.

In Illinois, Constellation now owns nuclear plants in Braidwood, Byron, Clinton, Morris, Marseilles, and Cordova.

Federal and state regulators oversee a disaster drill at the plant every other year. First responders and others will demonstrate how prepared they are to respond to an unknown threat or accident, such as a radiological leak, security breach, or severe weather.

Hundreds of Constellation employees will participate in the exercise on Tuesday.

Officially, Michelle's title is WVIK News Editor. She does everything there is to do in the newsroom and whatever may be needed around the radio station.
Related Content