Director of Development and Community Engagement WVIK, Quad Cities NPR
About Augustana College:
Augustana College is a private, selective, residential college of the liberal arts and sciences with enrollment of 2600 students. Our beautiful residential 115-acre campus is located in Rock Island, Illinois, part of the Quad Cities metropolitan area along the Mississippi River, 165 miles west of Chicago. Augustana awards the Bachelor of Arts in about 90 majors and related academic programs. Our diverse student body, includes 26 percent first generation college students, 23 percent Pell Grant students, 24 percent students of color, and 12 percent international students.
As part of the Augustana 2020 Strategic Plan, the campus has committed to growing as a community who welcomes and includes those historically underrepresented groups on our campus. Information on these initiatives and future plans can be found at: http://www.augustana.edu/about-us/president/diversity.
Employees at Augustana enjoy an excellent benefit package including medical, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefits for employees and their family members, and much more.
Works closely with station and college leaders to successfully conceptualize, develop, and implement all fundraising initiatives for WVIK, Quad Cities NPR. Participates in solicitation of funds from listeners, prospective and current sponsors, foundations, and applicable governmental bodies through a variety of means including: on-air appeals, direct mail, personal visits, grant writing, events, corporate sponsorship, and other appropriate fundraising activities. Develops and implements a strategy to meet fundraising goals for the station. This position is also manages WVIK's brand image at public events in the Quad Cities, in surrounding communities, as well as online.
- Develop and execute a plan for station funding incorporating a broad array of revenue sources, including local and national foundations, corporate sponsors, and local foundations.
- Personally operate the major and planned giving program at WVIK, including identification of appropriate major donors in the community, maintenance of a portfolio of current/prospective donors; and review portfolio and update as appropriate, and make personal solicitations as appropriate.
- Oversee the work and production of WVIK Director of Corporate Support, Grant Writer, and all other employees and contractors related to fundraising and other sources of revenue generation.
- Represent WVIK at public events in the Quad Cities and surrounding communities, that may include limited travel to nearby cities like Galesburg, Muscatine, and Dubuque.
- Organize and coordinate special fundraising and promotional events for audience and members including new member activities, fundraisers, volunteer recognition events, and other events established to support the goals of the station.
- Facilitate the work of the WVIK Community Advisory Board (4 meetings per year).
- Manages membership program, which includes creating membership letters, writing on-air scripts, creating membership emails, managing databases, premium distribution, and working directly with donors.
- Works with the CEO and Director of Content to plan and produce all WVIK on-air campaigns, including organizing volunteers, staff, and pitching on-air.
- Manage marketing, branding, and public relation initiatives as necessary. Mainains communication of major initiatives with the Augustana College Marketing Department. Works with CEO and Director of Content to facilitate marketing initiatives on-air, online, and in social media.
- Represent WVIK as Communications Officer for Disaster Ready Quad Cities and serve on other local boards as appropriate.
- Serve as a member of both the WVIK and Augustana College teams, attending meetings and public events, helping with a variety of needs, and collaborating with others.
- Other duties as assigned
B.A. in Business, Communications, or a related field or equivalent experience.
Experience: 5+ years of demonstrated success in fundraising, development, sales, marketing, or related fields.
Skills & Abilities: Excellent communication skills with a diverse audience including colleagues, listeners, station members, potential givers and members of the business community. Ability to work independently with little direction. Ability to create and execute a fundraising plan with minimal administrative support or resources.
Travel: This position requires frequent off-campus work and regional travel to represent WVIK at relevant events and meetings, as well as to visit current and prospective donors. Most travel is within WVIK's 75-mile broadcast radius and will not require overnight stays.
Physical Requirements: Must be able to lift 10 pounds on a frequent basis. Also required is the ability to listen, hear, speak, climb stairs, bend, stoop, and stand for intermittently long periods of time. Must possess or be able to acquire a valid driver's license.
Special Requirements: As key personnel representing the Station & College to the community, this position requires excellent interpersonal skills, the ability to relate to a diverse audience, and the ability and willingness to model the mission and high standard of behavior of Augustana College and WVIK. All prospective employees must pass a criminal background check.
Note: This job description is subject to change and is not designed to be a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required by the employee.
Augustana College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Augustana College provides equal opportunity to all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, and any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume for consideration.