Chemical Leak Closes Old Main
Students and faculty were evacuated from a building at Augustana College Monday because of a chemical leak. It happened just before 10 am, during routine maintenance on the the h-v-a-c system in Old Main.
College spokeswoman, Ashleigh Johnston, says leaking refrigerant created a "non-toxic fog" and the building was evacuated as a precaution.
Air tests by the Rock Island Fire Department, and then a restoration company, determined Old Main was safe to enter and people were allowed in briefly at mid-afternoon to pick up their personal belongings.
Johnston says Old Main was closed for the rest of the day but will be open again on Tuesday.